Wednesday, October 19, 2011

NNP chapters 1 & 2

The first chapter in NNP describes that networked nonprofits are easy for outsiders to get in and insiders to get out… this made me think of the Susan G Coleman breast cancer foundation. If you want to help or donate or have an event (because they are everywhere) it seems fairly simple. But the more I read, networked nonprofits are completely different. They aren’t worried about losing control of a piece or program because people still here the message and get involved and want to help. Safe Harbor could widely benefit with the social media trend, the book describes them as a new way of life, not a trend or fad. That is why I think the REP project is so important. People are turning to the internet now more than ever, and if Safe Harbor doesn’t have an easy to navigate site for someone young, they may give up. That being said, there also needs to be a face-to-face connection there for both kids looking for answers to adults looking for solutions.   http://measuredoutcomes.net/blog/best_practices-resources/top-7-reasons-why-nonprofits-fail-and-how-to-avoid-them-2/   is a great website about understanding what is needed to keep a nonprofit afloat, but it lacks one important thing. Social media! Yes it mentions a website, but nothing about Facebook or Twitter.
I also found it interesting that my age group is called Millennials, which are people born between 1978 and 1992 and we could be the demise of nonprofits. For reasons of social media being so accessible they will jump from organization to organization as they see fit. I completely understand, I worked with the Red Shoe Society for two reasons, one, because I know friends and family the RMH has helped, and two because of the networking capabilities (I know, I am horrible but if you met my boss at the time you would understand). Once the purpose was served I went on to Paws for a Cause because I have rescues and the fact that I worked with Petsmart. It is an example of how my generation will move from organization to organization depending on their passions for specific causes. I guess you could also call our class free agents when it comes to Safe Harbor, I think that once the tasks are complete, and there will not be too many people who continue to help with fundraiser or organize events once the class is complete. I love the fact that Safe Harbor has embraced the fact that we are here to help for a short period of time, which also goes to show that they are learning to adapt to the Millennial generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment