Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Safe Harbor thoughts and ideas

My first reaction while visiting Safe Harbor was slightly overwhelming. As much as I wanted to understand, I couldn’t help but feel a little awkward. These women have made a very brave step and here we were, with notepads in hand learning to the best of our ability of what they had to have experienced to be there. It was obvious from the moment we met Julie how much compassion she had for these women. She made it very clear that her biggest concern was awareness and education. She told us about the Meghan Project, now renamed REP, or Relationship Education Project. She stressed the hurtle of changing the name of a project, and I think that was one of her worries. She also mentioned the new website, and asked if we had any thoughts of things to put on there before it is launched.
I had a few ideas for projects, mostly for awareness only. My first idea I brought up in the meeting with Julie. If we could get in touch with someone in the athletic department, maybe we could have a purple out in October at a football game. Now that I have had time to think it over, even if we couldn’t get the football team I have the number for the coach of the lady tigers and the number for Mr. Bob Mahony, who could put me in touch with the game day operator, John Secada. I think we would need the whole class spreading the word and using social media like Facebook and Twitter to let everyone know about the event.
Another idea I had is along the lines of what some other girls had said about educating students at Clemson, especially freshman and sophomores since they may be new to dating without parental guidance.  Though I don’t think singling sororities is a fair idea. A lot of girls who are not in sororities need this valuable information too; plus girls not in a sorority may not have that tight knit group of friends that would notice abuse. That is why it may be a good idea to contact the Tiger news paper, along with someone who can send out a mass email alerting students, both male and female, to this event. Then we would have to find space to hold this event, could the Hendrix Center hold, could we use the Strom Thurmond building? I believe if we all pulled together we could get this ready for the end of October.
Good call Neil, maybe have an announcement during half time about October being domestic violence month and maybe futting the website up on the screen.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the Football team idea my girlfriends dad is the golf coach at Clemson so i'm sure he could get us in contact with the right persons to try and make this happen. I was also thinking we are going to have to do more than just get the team to wear all purple because some people might just think oh well its just a "purple out" and not make the connection with it being for domestic violence. I think this can be done with the right steps to spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading a bunch of blog posts about the purple out and I agree that it would be absolutely amazing! The only thing is it may be extremely hard to pull off. My roommate works for John Secada and has been interning for him for over a year. I could have her talk to him about it but I know a lot of those things are planned almost a year ahead of time. Last year Dabo wanted the football coaches to wear pink shoes in honor of his "All in" Foundation and I don't think it ever happened. It;s worth a shot though because if we could pull it off it would definitely get the word out!

    One alternative idea is to maybe tie the purple theme into Rock the John? I think it's in October and always has a good turnout! There would be a ton of people there and more flexibility because it hasn't been completely planned yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are definitely right about not having a sorority/fraternity sponsored function. Though these events are open to the rest of Clemson, students who are not a part of this collective group will probably not feel comfortable enough to attend those events. With only 20% of Clemson being Greek, it's not really our most viable audience. I love the game idea though. Pair that with a bar crawl/ drink special of some sort and I think we'd have a real hit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the idea of having it announced during a game and I think that if enough people come together and talk to the right people in the athletic department, then why wouldn't they take just a few seconds to announce that it is also domestic violence awareness month, it's a great cause! Who knows maybe people in that department can relate or know someone who has been a victim...Even if it's not the football team, any athletic even would help out!

    ReplyDelete